Protecting your bones during COVID-19
COVID-19 Situation Continues To Evolve : Affect Your Bone & Joint Health
As the COVID-19 situation continues to evolve, it becomes even more important to find ways to take care of your health and be safe. The ongoing lockdown has not only disrupted our emotional well-being but has also drastically affected our physical health. Lack of physical movement is the biggest worry amid lockdown irrespective of the age bracket you fall in and can affect your bone and joint health, besides other health problems.
Earlier, before this pandemic people use to travel to work, do their daily chores, exercise, go out to meet their friends but unfortunately in the past few months, all these things have been restricted which has limited the physical movement and has initiated lethargy.
As people are confined to their homes, their muscles and bones are not getting appropriate stimulation which is affecting their bone health. Everyone needs to be cautious about the health of their bones as much as their other needs. Bones support us and allow us to be mobile. Bone health is one of the most important systems of our body and we tend to overlook it always.
Take actions that make sure that we are not hurting
Weaker bones or joints can never hold a healthy body, hence looking after our bone health becomes vital in improving our quality of life especially during Covid-19. Take actions that make sure that we are not hurting ourselves and staying fracture free because, with limited resources, respective health authorities have recommended avoiding visiting hospitals and doctors unless necessary.
This makes it clear that we must take good care of our health and find ways that don’t degrade it. Though the World Health Organization urges elder citizens and people with chronic medical conditions such as diabetes or lung, heart or kidney disease to take strict precautions, we would also like to reassure people with any existing bones and joints issues to be well-versed of the situation and not risk themselves from contracting the virus.
Let us now take a look at some measures that can take care of your bones and joints during the pandemic.
10 Steps You Should Take
- Keep a regular check on your weight so that it doesn’t put extra pressure on your joints and keeps your muscles and joints healthy.
- Exercise (Aerobic/Anaerobic) every day which can help create some movement in your body and also help in maintaining bone strength.
- Pay attention to your posture and always avoid bending in inappropriate ways.
- Make sure your home environment is easy to move around with very fewer obstacles that could lead to deadly falls.
- Do not stop taking any medication or treatment prescribed by your doctor in case you have any bone diseases like Arthritis, Osteoporosis or other.
- Don’t feel shy to call for support whenever required while doing any physical job.
- Avoid Tobacco and limit alcohol use. Research suggests that tobacco use contributes to weak bones. Similarly, regularly having more than one alcoholic drink a day for women or two alcoholic drinks a day for men may increase the risk of osteoporosis.
- Consume a healthy diet that has the right mix of carbs, protein, fiber and other important nutrients. Take vitamin supplements after consulting a doctor.
- Manage inflammation well with the R.I.C.E formula (Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation). Any joint pain or inflammation can attack joint tissues causing fluids and swelling in the joints along with muscle damage.
- Keep in touch with your doctor and keep him informed with your health status and seek for constant tips and tricks in order to improve your bone health.
Stay Healthy At Home But Will Protect Your Bones And Joints
In simple words just set a routine for yourself which has a mix of all the above-mentioned points that will not only help you stay healthy at home but will protect your bones and joints. Although it is difficult to maintain a healthy lifestyle while we are in the midst of an epidemic, it’s important that we do take care of our wellbeing. Apart from following necessary steps such as staying inside and wearing a mask, don’t forget to drink a lot of water, avoid junk food and eat fruits and nuts for a better and healthier tomorrow.